To see or post comments, click on the blog post title to be "in" the post.
I have a new blog! It's over at my new website. So make sure to go over there for new posts as this blog will be closing soon!

Monday, May 3, 2010

#12 HAVEN

Dear Secret Agent,

There’s a lot of things Scar doesn’t believe in – magic, monsters, a passing grade in history. That all changes the night of her fifteenth birthday, when the blind woman looks at her, and she finds out her whole life has been a lie. She is dragged into a world of darkness – a world where the creatures of the night are real. Told she isn’t human, she is taken away to a boot camp for vampires, witches and werewolves.

Now she’s learning brand new things, breaking a witch’s Frisbee can really piss them off, challenging a werewolf to a foot race is a bad idea – if you want to live, vampires can hold serious grudges and throw mean left hooks, and the hardest secrets to keep are often the most crucial.

But she has a secret. She is a Dhampir, part-human, part-other, masquerading as a vampire.

When Scar starts seeing visions of attacks, the students begin to disappear. After a video surfaces of her at one of the crime scenes, making her the prime suspect, her very survival might be at stake. Now she must race to prove her innocence before her true nature is exposed.

The only problem is, she’s not entirely sure she’s innocent.

HAVEN is a complete 65,000 word young adult urban fantasy novel. The complete manuscript is available upon your request. Thank you for your consideration and I look forward to your reply.


****

Who am I? When someone thrusts their phone under your nose and shows you the pics they took of the fight, you won’t have any trouble spotting me. Forget the scared kid sitting in the background with her nose in the book. She’s trying to pretend she’s not there.

See the girls in the circle around the fight, egging the combatant on? You can almost hear the catcalls, can’t you? Well, I’m not one of them, either.

Now move your gaze into the centre circle. See the girl who might be beautiful but for the split lip and the blood? You’ve got it in one – that’s me!

Memo to self: Find out how I got into this fight.

My name’s Scar. I just turned fifteen, which is why I’m here tonight, since there’s no way anyone would let me in to see any good movies. I still get the kiddie menu, for crying out loud.

This is my first time to The Basement. Innovative name for a club someone set up in a two-storey, fire hazard lacking a basement. This place is just an excuse for non-stop partying, with the added bonus of no mature adults. The dimmed lights and smoky atmosphere make the graffiti on the walls glow. A couple of pinball machines and sagging lounges line the walls. The crowd surrounding me and my opponent takes up the rest of the space.

Her blows come quick – and hard – knocking me back into the fleshy wall of the crowd.