To see or post comments, click on the blog post title to be "in" the post.
I have a new blog! It's over at my new website. So make sure to go over there for new posts as this blog will be closing soon!

Monday, February 21, 2011

Monday Musings: Writer's Block


When I first started writing seriously I had an endless flow of ideas and I wrote them all down as quickly as possible, scoffing at writer’s block.  But now I’ve noticed with the more I’ve learned the harder it is to actually write.   I’ve still got the ideas, but it’s more difficult to get them down on paper. 

I’m pretty sure it’s because I’m constantly trying to outdo myself.  Not to mention I’m finding it more and more laborious to turn off that internal editor, to just “write the damn story” and fix it in subsequent drafts.

I’ve found that the harder I struggle, the worse it gets, so I’ve to just let the muse take me where it wants to go, when it wants me to go, instead of striving to wrestle it into a bottle to sprinkle it out over the course of the year.

It may mean frantic days and nights of dirty dishes and laundry piling up as I write feverishly, but my best stuff seems to come from those frenzied hours.

However, it doesn’t stop the worried thoughts of never writing again, so I want to know…what do you do to counteract writer’s block?