To see or post comments, click on the blog post title to be "in" the post.
I have a new blog! It's over at my new website. So make sure to go over there for new posts as this blog will be closing soon!

Monday, February 20, 2012

Different, yet the same




Okay, so…I’ve started a new WIP.  I wrote a synopsis that’s fairly decent last week (read: sucks eggs. LOL), today and tomorrow I’ll spend writing my chapter by chapter outline, and hopefully I’ll start drafting it by the end of the week. 

My MC is as different from the one in RENEGADE as a tree is to a chicken.  They’re both living things, but there’s no way you’d mistake one from the other. And that’s my characters.  It’s actually amusing to me how different they are, but how similarly they started telling me their story!  It both started with them telling me the first sentence of the book.  I’m hoping that’s a good sign. LOL!

But they’re so different I’m a little worried that people won’t recognize the book as one of mine. 

But then, last night, my daughter was comparing our feet.  And I noticed how different they were.  Not just the size, but the entire structure.  She has dancer’s feet.  I most definetely don’t. But her nose is definitely mine.  Her ears. My husband. But her hair is mine.  I could go on and on about how different she is, yet how much the same. But that’s not the point. 

The point is that no matter how different she is from me, there’s always something I can point out that’s all me. And my characters are the same. No matter how different they are from each other, they’re written (i.e. created) by me. I’m sure people will see enough similarities in my style to know it’s from me. Just like people who see my daughter know she’s mine by her similarities to me.  

And that, to me, is how it's supposed to be. Each character I create should be different (no one wants to read about cookie cutter characters that are the same from book to book), but yet, they should be the same that they're recognizable as mine.