To see or post comments, click on the blog post title to be "in" the post.
I have a new blog! It's over at my new website. So make sure to go over there for new posts as this blog will be closing soon!

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Reading to our kids


                               Writers don't forget to enter my query/1st chapter critique contest. Here.

Okay I had no idea what I was going to write about today, then I read this article.  My jaw literally dropped.  I couldn't believe this woman was complaining about reading to her kids. Especially after saying how much she remembered enjoying reading CHARLOTTE'S WEB with her own mother. My first thought was, WTF?!

Reading to my kids is singularly the most enjoyable part of my day.  I get to share with them the discovery of new characters, far away places, and most importantly my love of reading.

Sure, we've run into our fair share of issues. there are days I'm just too tired to read and sometimes I do skip pages. I don't exactly like some of the books they want me to read, and I DO get tired of reading the same books over and over, but for the most part, it's enjoyable.  I get to spend quality time with them. I get to see their eyes light up when I pull that worn out copy of Sleeping Beauty (for my daughter) or Bob the Builder (that's when my son was little--he doesn't want me to read with him anymore. :()

And that brings up another thing, this age doesn't last forever. They won't want you to read with them forever.  Pretty soon, reading time will be spent playing video games, or reading quietly on their own. Talking to friends.  Whatever it is they enjoy instead.

So I'm going to cherish these moments for as long as they last.  And I'm going to read to my kids, doing bad character voices, and puppet shows, and giggling at all the silly stuff until my kids beg me to stop.

And person who wrote that article, honestly, you should be ashamed of yourself. (Sorry, I know that's harsh, but it's how I feel.)  I feel sorry for your kids.  If reading to them is such a chore, why not just not do it?  Then maybe you won't ruin reading for your kids.